Sunday, September 13, 2009

Counting down Halloween



Here is the final photo of the advent calendar.


I made this calendar by hand, with a little (okay, a lot) of help from Michael's wedding favor boxes. I saw the Starbucks advent calendar last year and thought I'd make a similar calendar.
Then I thought of my friend Liz who absolutely LOVES Halloween and thought I'd try it for her. Each box is 2.25 inches square and can hold candy or a creepy toy. Some of the draw-backs: The count-down to Halloween is 30 days, while a Christmas advent is only 24 days. So this is a rather tall advent calendar. To balance out the size-issues, I absolutely couldn't wait to make this, so the excitement helped propel the project forward and the results are just spectacular. Sometimes our projects don't turn out as well as planned in our minds (or notebooks!) This one worked out wonderfully.


I've been approached by many friends and crafters for tutorials and requests for instructions so when I make the next one for my sister, I'll write up the instructions, record measurements and take a few photos. I'll have those available here on Saturday, September 19th.

Here's the blog entry for directions


Thanks for all the comments and praise!

MATERIALS & TOOLS:

Scor-pal, EK Success 1" circle punch, Fiskars paper cutter

Michael's brand wedding favor boxes (use your coupon!); Michael's brand Halloween die-cuts; Target dollar-spot paper pack; Target dollar-spot Halloween rub-ons; Bazzil black cardstock; Tacky tape; Cricut-Basic George for numbers; foam tape; brads and paper scraps for labels.

1 comment:

  1. This is so awesome! Can't wait to see the Christmas version. ;)

    ReplyDelete